Alopecia Areata is a type of autoimmune disorder that causes significant hair fall and hair loss in a person. The amount of hair fall varies from person to person in this disorder. The hair fall can be severe in some cases of Alopecia Areata where the entire hair falls off the scalp of a person. There is no specific Gender or age barrier for this disorder to occur. However, in most cases of this disorder, the person affected has less than 30 years of age. Alopecia is an incurable disorder to date, which is definitely not a very pleasing fact. Alopecia can also cause trauma and emotional shock to a person. This disorder is responsible for a significant effect on the mental health of the infected person.
Alopecia Areata is found in a number of variations that have different conditions associated with them. We will have a discussion about some general variants of the Alopecia Areata:-
1. Alopecia Areata Universalis:- In this condition, the person starts losing hair from all over their body.
2. Alopecia Areata totalis:- A person loses his/her complete scalp hair under this condition.
3. Ophiasis Alopecia Areata:- This is a slightly different condition in which an individual loses hair in the shape of bands around the back and sides of their scalp.
4. Diffuse Alopecia Areata:- It is a condition in which the thinning of hair starts rather than the actual hair falling in the person.
Symptoms for Alopecia Areata
The common symptom of this disorder is generally hair loss in a person. However, there are some conditions that may also indicate the presence of Alopecia Areata. We have prepared a list of such conditions:-
1. The appearance of patches where the complete hair has been lost (Bald patches) on the scalp of a person.
2. The bald spots start appearing on the scalp or other parts of the body.
3. Excessive hair loss in a person over a short period of time.
4. Redness of nails.
5. Hair fall increases in low-temperature conditions.
Precautions for Alopecia
Although Alopecia Areata is incurable to date, the persons infected with it can take some precautionary measures for themselves. There are some measures which they can follow to stay protected:-
1. Alopecia Areata may cause hair loss all over the body. So you should stay protected from direct contact with sunlight. You must avoid direct contact with your skin with sunlight. You can use sunscreen if you go outside in the sunlight to stay protected from it.
2. You can also use Sunglasses to protect your eyebrows and eyelash hairs whenever you go out in the sunlight.
3. You can wear caps, hats, wigs, etc., to protect your scalp from direct sunlight.
Alopecia Areata Treatment
Since this disorder is incurable, it cannot be eradicated completely. However, one can start your treatment which can help to re-grow the hairs on the bald patches of their body. There are several ways that you can try for the treatment of this disorder:-
a) There is an anti-inflammatory drug that is generally prescribed for autoimmune diseases. These drugs are called Corticosteroids. You can take these drugs through several methods like an injection to the infected area. You can also rub this as an ointment on the bald patches, or you can also consume them directly in the form of pills.
b) There is a method called Topical immunotherapy, which is responsible for the growing back of hair on the bald patches of the body. In this method, an allergic reaction produce on the infected area with the help of some chemicals. It can cause rashes on the skin where it is applied.
c) Rogaine can also be used to treat this disorder. However, this method has also failed in many cases, which is quite disappointing.
Alopecia Areata is definitely a nightmare for many people. It also has effects on the mental health of a person apart from the severe physical effect that it has. Although, there are some preventive measures that can be taken to stay safe from the effects of this disorder. An individual can also try out the treatment methods discussed above for Alopecia Areata.